Thursday, July 26, 2007

Good Stuff

While planning for the reunion I've come across some fun stuff. First, the school lunch rolls and cinnamon rolls recipes. I got brave after seeing that former cook, Gaylene, at Office Max and I called her for the recipes.
Also, I spent some time at Snowcrest looking at old scrapbooks. I came across some old pictures of Valley Elementary and some fun facts to share.
And Finally, I've included some fun links. While doing research about that drink machine that nobody emailed me about, I found this site that lists all the 80's food. Some you might remember like Dinosaur Eggs candy and Smurf Berry Crunch.
As we were talking about the games we used to play at recess we couldn't remember how to play any of them. I found this site that has just about all of them on there. It even has the jump rope rhymes like Cinderella and Teddy Bear. Have Fun!!

School Lunch Rolls

12 oz. warm water
1 3/4 tsp. salt
2 T margarine
4 C. flour
2T dry milk
2 T sugar
1 pkg. yeast

dissolve yeast in water w/sugar
add remaining ingredients
raise in bowl until double 1 1/2 to 2 hrs.
form into rolls and place on greased sheet
let raise an additional 1 1/2 hrs.
bake at 350 for 20-30 min.

For cinnamon rolls:

use 1/4 cup sugar instead of 2T
after raising in bowl, roll out, spread softened butter, brown sugar and cinnamon generously
roll up and cut with floss
place on greased pan and let raise another 1 1/2 hrs.
bake at 350 for 15-20 min.
makes a little over a dozen rolls
frost with icing made of butter, hot water, and powdered sugar

And now for the pictures and fun facts. The first picture is Valley School in 1902. The second is the "new" Valley School in 1958 when they dedicated it. The gym was built in the 30's and already there. They built the junior high part around the gym and that was all they had until they added the east portion later on. I've been told that in a couple years or less they will be tearing down everything from the gym to the west or everything you see in this picture. Those attending the reunion will be able to see it one more time before it's gone.





Remember these ladies?

Stay cool and have a fun summer!

1 comment:

Star said...

Nikki,
Thanks for the roll recipe, they are the best!
Now if we could only get the mystery gravy recipe my nostalgic journey would be complete!