I have a place in my heart for Powder Mountain. Thanks to my dad's ability to fix the shuttle bus I was able to ski there frequently. My parents didn't like driving up there so many times I cut a deal with a friend: I'll give you a free pass if your parents take us up there. That seemed to work most the time. Powder Mountain is a great place to ski. They've made some improvements over the years for the better, but I'm not sold on their latest plans.
I've been following closely the controversy surrounding their plans to create a massive four-season resort. It sounds like it will create a lot of traffic issues among other things. If you're interested in all the details you can dig up articles from the Standard Examiner's archives. The latest is that because they (P.M.) cannot meet the requirements of the Ogden Valley Commission-including creating an alternate road up to P.M.- before being approved they've decided to create a town. If they become a town they can do what they want. All they need is to own 50% of the land that they want to incorporate and have 100 residents. The catch is that the residents don't even have to agree to be in the town. Essentially they can be forced into living within the bounds of Powder Mountain. They had a meeting last night with the future residents of Powder Mountain town to inform them of the plan. I was prepared to show you a map of the boundaries of the town, but my scanner wouldn't do it. The map shows that they are including those living on both sides of Powder Mountain Road just above Wolf Creek Resort. It looks like it includes Amy Satterthwaite's parents and those living around them.
Sounds crazy to me. I believe that people should have freedom to do what they want with their land, but to a certain point, especially if you're going to create a negative impact on others. It doesn't seem fair to inhibit the resort planners from carrying out their dream plan, but people actually live in the valley and work and raise children. Why should those who just want to come and play do what they want, in a sense exploit the land and people. It's not right.
If you read the article from the Standard today it reports on the meeting last night. Rep. Gage Froerer has come up with a bill that would try and stop the incorporation by requiring the majority of the future residents be in favor. It is a revision of the bill passed last year that made the incorporation possible. I hope they can stop it before it's too late.
Wednesday, January 23, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment