Friday, August 24, 2007

Stake Lagoon Day


Ahhh Stake Lagoon Day, the best day of the summer. That is with the exception of the 4th of July. Do you remember getting up and having to wait clear until 10:00 a.m to get in the car and go? How did our parents last a whole day at Lagoon? We took our girls a few weeks ago and didn't get there until after 1:00 p.m. because we knew we didn't want to be there ALL day.
So how did our parents make it all day? I just figured it out. They sat down. As I look back on all the times I would go out on the rides with friends and then come back and find them, they were always sitting down. Many times they were sitting down watching one of those ridiculous singing shows. The ones where the performers were way too happy and way too expressive when they sang. I always got out of there as soon as possible. I'm sure I was there asking my dad for more money to blow on skeeball or another game.
It's hard to admit this, but I think my show watching days are here. I was on the carousel for the fifth time that afternoon with my daughter when I spotted a theater nearby. The sign indicated that there was an 80's show coming up shortly. I turned to my husband and said "You're going to think I'm the biggest nerd, but I'm going to that show over there." He took the kids on some rides while I sat in the shade of the theater and laughed my head off. I just wish I could have had a friend there to enjoy it with me.
This isn't the best picture, but these guys were all decked out in 80's gear with fluorescent colors, Miami Vice white jackets, legwarmers, Cyndi Lauper hair, and colorful shoes. They sang many of the songs from my Valley School playlist and they did all the dance moves we remember. It was less than a week after our reunion so I still had the 80's fresh on my mind. It was great. Stake Lagoon Day doesn't get any better than that.

No comments: